List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: Why are systemd's logs stored as binaries?
From:       L A Walsh <suse () tlinx ! org>
Date:       2016-12-22 20:53:29

Anton Aylward wrote:
> On 12/22/2016 09:07 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Is it reliable? Can we trust the journal to work and not loose anything in, say,
>> two years time, even after upgrades?
>>

> You've descended into the stage of a ridiculous argument, Carlos.

---
    Not really.  He points out that ng-syslogd already logs to binary in
a way that can be read by current DB viewers.

    So far, journeld has no tool support as it was designed from scratch
providing no or limited compatibility.  For example, someone may want to
keep logs related to logins going back 3 years, but not everything else.

    I have specific logs going back insanely log... squid logs back to 2010,
for example.  I see some old spamd logs from 2009 -- gotta clean these out..

But they are all still readable using "more"...

To ask that such info be readable only 2 years in the future, is a
*ridiculously* small amount.  To call wanting such, ridiculous by any
measure
is just naive, ridiculous or senile (having forgotten that such basic
needs were met ages ago by the previous log system, but now need to be
re-invented w/a new log system).  Remember, by default journald was
designed for volatile storage, w/working store on SSD's.  Not your typical
logging system.