List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: Why are systemd's logs stored as binaries?
From:       L A Walsh <suse () tlinx ! org>
Date:       2016-12-22 20:45:07

ianseeks wrote:
> I think the journal keeping all the records is the only way, sure its
> storage
> heavy but it'll have to be done. I don't see how you can prove that your logs
> are secure i.e. not tampered with (by outsiders or insiders), to an
> independent reviewer if you do not keep every single record.
----
    Why would an opensuse user (vs. corporate user using Novell's SuSE) need
such things?  Opensuse is supposed to be mostly for users and maybe small
businesses not expecting official support.  Certainly, they would not be
businesses needed secure or tamper-proof logs.  If they were, they wouldn't
be recording to local disks were things could be edited anyway, but to
an external recording device or signed-network-secure device.

> But if you are in an industry that does not legally mandate keeping every
> record then i guess you can do what you like with the data as its irrelevant
> to anyone else until you are trying to find a rogue employee fiddling with the system.

That's the assumption here.