List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Per Jessen <per () computer ! org>
Date:       2015-10-27 7:38:07

Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 26/10/15 18:10, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 5:31 AM, David C. Rankin
>> <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4956206/change-linux-kernel-timer
>> So, is CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS set in Leap's kernel-default? And if
>> so, does it mean that the various Hz settings are not relevant?
>>
>> OTOH, uname on Leap lists PREEMPT. So maybe the low latency RT timers
>> are enabled? Even my ancient 12.3 -desktop kernel lists PREEMPT.
>
> If you look at the differences between desktop and default kernels you
> will find that both TIMERS and PREEMPT are set in both desktop and
> default versions.
>
> So, two questions remain:

Basil, I thought we went through that already?

> 1)  why was kernel-desktop created? and

It was introduced in openSUSE 11.2, about six years ago. I can only
presume it was an attempt to make the desktop more responsive.

> 2) why not leave kernel-desktop as the default kernel for oS 'Leap of
> Faith' as it has been for years as the default kernel for openSUSE
> xx.y?

AFAICT, because it would mean creating a new kernel-desktop as SLE
doesn't have one.  That's Michael Marek wrote when he proposed the
idea.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.7 °C)