List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] kernel-desktop
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2015-10-27 7:28:34

On 26/10/15 18:10, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 5:31 AM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4956206/change-linux-kernel-timer
> So, is CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS set in Leap's kernel-default? And if so,
> does it mean that the various Hz settings are not relevant?
>
> OTOH, uname on Leap lists PREEMPT. So maybe the low latency RT timers
> are enabled? Even my ancient 12.3 -desktop kernel lists PREEMPT.

If you look at the differences between desktop and default kernels you
will find that both TIMERS and PREEMPT are set in both desktop and
default versions.

So, two questions remain:

1)  why was kernel-desktop created? and

2) why not leave kernel-desktop as the default kernel for oS 'Leap of
Faith' as it has been for years as the default kernel for openSUSE xx.y?

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9 & kernel 4.2.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor