List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Why do I feel that KDE is slow
From:       Xen <list () xenhideout ! nl>
Date:       2015-09-09 23:40:59

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015, Felix Miata wrote:

> Xen composed on 2015-09-09 13:08 (UTC+0200):
>
>> But to get back to the story at hand: I did not really request hardware
>> help from you. I don't know why you want it.
>
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2015-09/msg00157.html is why, where you
> complained about Alt-F2 behavior, and wrote "definitely a sense of delay
> everywhere".
>
>> There is just a 0% chance I have a hardware issue.
>
> Until you provided some hardware info, we had no way to know any such thing.
> I still don't believe your chance of a hardware relationship is 0.000%. I
> have at least one machine with Series 4 Intel video that is noticably slower
> than both older and newer Intel video machines here.
>
> I subscribe to and read a lot on the intel-gfx mailing list. Series 4 covers
> a rather large video hardware ground. The Intel driver is loaded up with chip
> to chip specifics due to feature changes, absences, etc. Plus, it depends on
> shared and typically slower system RAM rather than dedicated video RAM.
>
> Then there's the relationship between specific hardware X configuration
> optimization. Different acceleration methods exist. Results among them vary
> by hardware, not unusually quite significantly. Some non-default
> configuration option might unleash pent up power. Or maybe for your
> particular chip, the default is sub-optimal and performance would be improved
> by overriding it.

This all goes too far man. It is just not of interet to me now.

>> I do not experience extreme lags in my system.
>
> That contradicts my understanding of what you wrote upthread.

Thank you for your honest statement. The lag I experienced was partly due
to the "Fade" option that creates odd side-effect when some component
fades but another component is direct; creating time-offsets in when these
things are diplayed, notably the window switcher.

The alt-f2 problem was primarily caused by the program loading a wagonload
of plugins. I'm still not happy with it because for some reason when you
start a program, sometimes, probably in the background it starts doing
dbus stuff which can take a very long time. You might run a program and it
takes 15-20-30 seconds to load. Then you execute the same program from the
menu and it loads almost instantly. 20 seconds later the first instance
pops up.

Also loading URLs from e.g. a chat client, does the same. You click a link
and it takes at least 30 second for the page to load; but before it load
it tries to fire up a new instance of Firefox, and after 10-15 seconds it
realises that a new instance is not required. All the while you have one
or two new window-tiles being active in your taskbar.

But that is no graphical issue, it seems to be a failing of dbus :?.

:-/ ?.

>> Any case, thank you for your help and your good humour, good will.
>
> Just trying to help. Without mention of hardware, it's hard for googlers to
> determine whether any particular archive hit could be of use. Asking for
> Xorg.0.log when X sloth is a complaint is pretty standard in every help
> forum. If there was any real privacy issue routinely doing that, it wouldn't
> be so universal, or the content of it would be modified to reduce or
> eliminate it.

That depends on how important people consider their privacy on average.
Often-done-things do not necessarily speak any truth of any importance. If
privacy was not an issue, you might say.. it just became an issue for me.

Billy Walsch's (Walsh's) reponse speaks "book volumes". There are people
who have no internet presence yet who work at important jobs for tech
giants. A friend of mine here mentioned that these people do not want to
be found, because they get harassed with mostly anything if they do (if
they are).

In open source, your value seems to rely on how much presence you acquire.
I do not consider that very beneficial. Let's just say I hold a different
opinion these days. Nevertheless, perhaps I could be persuaded to give
you bits and piece of that log, but the reasons are unclear to me. Suppose
it meant a hardware accelleration -- that doesn't mean my KDE experience
will necessarily become better, because so much is software design and not
any performance issue.

But it's wonderful to see how knowledgeable you are. Following an
intel-gfx mailing list? Ooph!.

But seriouly, if the only way to make KDE usable is to fine-tweak its X
config, I don't even wanna use it... a regular user can never be expected
to do that. Only because someone like you is around, is it even possible.

I just upgraded a Debian 7 system to Debian 8. I regret it. If only
because now I'm having to use SystemD. I hate SystemD. Why did I upgrade?

The upgrade went fine, took a lot of time. I gained almost nothing, and
lot a whole bunch. I will probably need to put it back to Debian 7 when I
get the chance, but that will be a long time coming.

--
"Forgive them father, for they know not what they do."