List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Why do I feel that KDE is slow
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2015-09-09 21:12:54

Xen composed on 2015-09-09 13:08 (UTC+0200):

> But to get back to the story at hand: I did not really request hardware
> help from you. I don't know why you want it.

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2015-09/msg00157.html is why, where you
complained about Alt-F2 behavior, and wrote "definitely a sense of delay
everywhere".

> There is just a 0% chance I have a hardware issue.

Until you provided some hardware info, we had no way to know any such thing.
I still don't believe your chance of a hardware relationship is 0.000%. I
have at least one machine with Series 4 Intel video that is noticably slower
than both older and newer Intel video machines here.

I subscribe to and read a lot on the intel-gfx mailing list. Series 4 covers
a rather large video hardware ground. The Intel driver is loaded up with chip
to chip specifics due to feature changes, absences, etc. Plus, it depends on
shared and typically slower system RAM rather than dedicated video RAM.

Then there's the relationship between specific hardware X configuration
optimization. Different acceleration methods exist. Results among them vary
by hardware, not unusually quite significantly. Some non-default
configuration option might unleash pent up power. Or maybe for your
particular chip, the default is sub-optimal and performance would be improved
by overriding it.

> I do not experience extreme lags in my system.

That contradicts my understanding of what you wrote upthread.

> Any case, thank you for your help and your good humour, good will.

Just trying to help. Without mention of hardware, it's hard for googlers to
determine whether any particular archive hit could be of use. Asking for
Xorg.0.log when X sloth is a complaint is pretty standard in every help
forum. If there was any real privacy issue routinely doing that, it wouldn't
be so universal, or the content of it would be modified to reduce or
eliminate it.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/