List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Why do I feel that KDE is slow
From:       Xen <list () xenhideout ! nl>
Date:       2015-09-07 17:26:26

Oh, stop being such an idiot.

The whole idea of Unix or Linux distributions is to make it easier for
people.

Some of you are trying to make it work for end-users

And then the dinosaurs like you (I don't know if you're from any older
era, but still) try to defeat those efforts by arguing that no matter
how much has been done, /it should never be easy on an end user/.

There is some notion that it should always be hard, for no reason
whatsoever.

Try to look into those reasons for a change. You'll see there are not
any. It is just a weird cultural notion coming from some weird notion
mired in Calvinism.

"Life has to be hard".

Yeah.

> But all this, ranting, explanation, wants, ...., is *only* on you.  That
> developer owes you *only* exactly what you paid him.  You don't even know
> who he is or have taken the time to try to find out to discuss what you
> see as his "failings" in developing that he might change to your tastes.

Maybe it's a she, who knows. But likely not, a she would not be such a
moron.

Usually not, at least.

And then there are topics of "How to get more women into openSUSE".

For what you care, I represent a million silent users.

So these millions of users only owe that developer what they paid him.
That comes closer to the mark. Now we understand something.

Now we see that there are some who are trying to make it work for those
millions of users. We also see that the developer is not getting paid.

We also, apparently, see that, because of this lack of proper
compensation (from whatever channel that would derive, such as
employment or entrepeneurship) that the developers are apparently trying
to offload their work on their users, since that would be a form of
return payment "I do this work, if you help me do it".

We also see that the experience of being "employed" by some OSS project
might lead to a form of bitterness because it involves a lot of
sacrifice. What I see most in open source is bitterness.

Bitterness at Microsoft, bitterness at a commercial world.

Sacrifice always leads to bitterness and open source developers are
expected to sacrifice.

They are expected to work long hours for no compensation other than the
status they get from having done the work. It is called "contribution".
By paying this effort and time and energy you are supposed to get
something back, which is?...

Maybe a sense of belonging, but the payment you receive back is mostly
very minimal. It is for ideology. It is for belief. It is towards some
bigger goal. You can perfectly sacrifice yourself for a bigger goal.

You see some of the "within-group" disputes that you also see in e.g.
Christianity and Islam. There are several mostly incompatible licenses
in the Open Source World. There is GPL, there is BSD, there is Apache,
they are all different things and they don't harmonize very well, from
what I've heard or seen. It is the same with e.g. Islam: there is
Shi'ism (Shia Islam) and Sunnism (Sunni	Islam) -- factions within a
factioned world. With such an antagonistic mindset (e.g. with Open
Source) it is not strange to see internal disputes within the larger
faction.

Boy, now I said something! I am too close to the fire here.

So, from this bitterness, comes a notion that everyone who wants to
join, has to put in the effort.

They call it the do'ocracy. You can only be a member if you put in the
same work everyone is putting in. That everyone applies to "developers"
but in this case everyone who wants to use/work with Open Source also
becomes one of them.

There are really no users in open source. It is a developer community,
not a user community. Now I have no issue with developing, after all
I've been a programmer since young age. But it kinda disrupts and even
destroys the balance between users and developers because the end result
is, as I've said, that time is getting to be spent very inefficiently
because developers don't care to apply any finish.

The result of this, by the way, is that their work ends up being worth
only a fraction of what it would have been worth had they put in all the
effort and went the last miles.

I consider Open Source to be a failure in the sense that it does not
extend, nor will it ever extend, to users.

It only extends to developers. But here's the catch: I can only develop
for it if I'm able to use it first.

> Welcome to OSS.

I've had more inviting welcomes in my life. OSS must be one of the most
unwelcoming places I have ever visited.

>> No my friend, the one most bitching is just you.
>
> The only "bitching" going on here lies within your voluminous posts

Even calling them voluminous is a statement of bitching.

All you can do is bitch. Everyone who disagrees with anything as you're
used to doing it in open source, you can only bitch about it.

It's the negativity you've built up by working for it.

It comes out whenever anyone opens your closet.