List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Why do I feel that KDE is slow
From:       Anton Aylward <opensuse () antonaylward ! com>
Date:       2015-09-07 16:28:41

On 09/07/2015 11:58 AM, Xen wrote:
> You also didn't suggest any of that to me. Like the wench in
> NetworkManager applet, it is not really clear that the configuration is
> to be found there... You apparently have spent the time (or have had the
> time and experience) to LEARN these things but they are not readily
> apparent.

That's what I mean about "culture"

Linux GUIs use the wrench symbol or the 'crossed screwdrivers" that look
like the papal insignia all over the place.

Its a cultural convention.

For many people it triggers a "oh, I wonder what that does?" reaction.

The symbols on the bar at the top of the window ( v ^ x ) are a
convention shared with Windows, so apparently this doesn't bother you.
Apple had a different way: the bar was fixed at the top of the screen
and pertained ONLY to the current foreground/active window.  There was
not, originally, a per windows set of controls like this.  later they
made it an option :-)

There's other conventions about what happens when you click the top bar,
right click, left click.  Of course this is customizable as well :-)

So long as you think in terms of Windows conventions and culture rather
than Linux conventions and culture you'd be faced with this.

The design of Linux is VERY intelligent, given the sheer diversity of
the development effort!  It comes from and still is a step away from the
traditional ideas of computing and has changed how people  use
computers.  The whole idea of UNIX was to be a "personal computer", even
when the PDP-11 was multi-user.  U like the Mainframes, users could
customise their experience.  We take that for granted now, but back then
it was a revolutionary idea.