List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] 13.1 - screen brightness stuck on high - unresponsive to fn keys - how to fix?
From:       auxsvr () gmail ! com
Date:       2014-07-16 9:15:37

On Wednesday 16 of July 2014 04:03:58 David C. Rankin wrote:
> > Here is the issue:
> >
> > Cooling 0: LCD 0 of 7
> >
> > WTF?? Cooling? then LCD 0 of 7??
> >
> > It looks like the LCD brightness function is FUBAR in 13.1 for my Toshiba.
> > Cooling??
>
> I also think 13.1 is looking at the wrong brightness. The *current
> brightness* is 7, not zero. Recall, I show 2 brightness interfaces under
> /sys/class/backlight:
>
>    # cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
> 7
>    # cat /sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness
> 0
>
> So it looks like acpi reports the wrong one, and who knows what it is
> attempting to set. The values never change in either when I use the
> function keys.

On my computer, the brightness keys do not work outside X. In your case, both
the kernel interface to set the brightness and the keys work, therefore it is
the job of the desktop environment to change the brightness on key press,
unless you configure some daemon to do so independently.
--
Regards,
Peter