List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: When I have downloads running, DNS fails.
From:       "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas () telefonica ! net>
Date:       2014-07-15 2:26:27

On 2014-07-15 03:54, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Which is one of the main reasons for using a PC.  If energy is important, you can
> use a laptop processor w/SSD or a 'celeron' type processor -- even an 'atom'... if you
> can run suse linux on it, it should be fine.

Only a PC does not suffice.

Three machines are needed:

 1) The original adls router, or an equivalent one, acting in
pass-through mode, like a "modem" from ADSL to ethernet. Alternatively,
I have to buy a card that knows ADSL for the computer.
 2) A computer, with at least 2 ethernet ports (routing internet WAN to
LAN), and wireless card with good antennas.
 3) A switch.

That's a lot for a home system.

It would be cheaper to flash the router instead. There are good and open
firmwares around.

> That way you can dictate traffic policy.  Otherwise you are complaining about
> something you can't really change.  I.e. By not replacing your ISP's router w/your
> own, you are saying that whatever policy your ISP router implements is
> "fine".

In fact, that router is not my ISP router. I bought one to replace theirs.

> Asking on here for solutions is of marginal benefit, as the bottleneck isn't on
> a suse machine.

I know. But surely I'm not the first one to hit this kind of problem,
and people may know. And in fact, I have got the ideas here that guided
me to solve the issue, because as I said already, it is solved. Or so it
seems. I said that some posts back already.

>> By the way, in the bandwith adjustment on my router, which I posted
>> before, I have reserved a minimal bandwidth to to my local machines to
>> connect to outside on port 53. However, the router itself is excluded
>> from the list... the configuration form rejects it.

> Maybe get a new router?  But a low-power computer that can run
> suse, might be more advantageous.

/That/ one is the new router, actually. :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.
		(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)