List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: When I have downloads running, DNS fails.
From:       Linda Walsh <suse () tlinx ! org>
Date:       2014-07-15 1:54:00

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> It takes about five seconds... I tried 2 or three times, and every time
> it tries a different route, but starting at the root servers. This
> command does not appear to cache the answer. "host -v ..." does.

"+trace" is not supposed to cache the response.  It is supposed to turn
off recursive responses and it *traces* the _delegation_ path from the
root servers
you have config'ed, and f

>>> Ok, but none of that benefits me at present. The basic problem is that
>>> my router does not do QoS, and does not prioritize DNS packets. So
>>> when the pipe is full, they don't get out, or in, simple as that...

---

Which is one of the main reasons for using a PC.  If energy is
important, you can
use a laptop processor w/SSD or a 'celeron' type processor -- even an
'atom'... if you
can run suse linux on it, it should be fine.

That way you can dictate traffic policy.  Otherwise you are complaining
about
something you can't really change.  I.e. By not replacing your ISP's
router w/your
own, you are saying that whatever policy your ISP router implements is
"fine".

Asking on here for solutions is of marginal benefit, as the bottleneck
isn't on
a suse machine.

You *can* control traffic on your home network, but only at the gateway
router can you control all the traffic.  You could use the gateway router
IF all your home traffic went through your suse-linux box before going to
the router.

You don't have to use "QOS", .. but then you need to do some other traffic
filtering -- like wondershaper -- and *adapt* the "ifb" (incoming
traffic control)
to wondersahper.   "ifb" isn't QOS specific.  The *only reason* I suggested
it is that it is the only script I know of in the suse distribution that can
do input filtering -- other than that, we (you and I) don't really need QOS.

**B*U*T*** -- the above still requires that you be able to run suse
software (or
your own version of linux) on the router.  If you can't, then same issue
mentioned above -- problem is on a box where we can't replace SW and kernel.

If that's the case, then  list would be of minimal usefulness (someone
might know
how to do some of these things on your router, but it wouldn't be suse
specific knowledge).

Note -- none of that is meant to tell you you should not discuss it
here, or you should
take it elsewhere (it IS an interesting topic), just that if you do discuss
such on this list, there are limits as to what can be done when the
problem isn't
on a suse box but on a router.

> By the way, in the bandwith adjustment on my router, which I posted
> before, I have reserved a minimal bandwidth to to my local machines to
> connect to outside on port 53. However, the router itself is excluded
> from the list... the configuration form rejects it.

---

Maybe get a new router?  But a low-power computer that can run
suse, might be more advantageous.