List:       opensuse
Subject:    [opensuse] Re: NAS home backup?
From:       Linda Walsh <suse () tlinx ! org>
Date:       2014-07-11 22:12:10

Greg Freemyer wrote:

<deleted full page (34 lines) of wasted space due to *SUSE selfishness>
*-don't blaim the user!  it's the mailing list that sets the backwards
policy

> To share a filesystem between computers you have to have a network protocol.

Or a floppy, or a CD, or a serial line, or a parallel port, or a USB
port... oh yeah,  and you can
share over networks as well.

> NFS is the classic linux / unix protocol.

---
"classic" linux protocol?  SMB was on linux at the same time or before NFS.
Samba is included with most linux distros and the cifs file system is in
the kernel
(as is NFS).

> SMB (or CIFS) is the classic Windows protocol.

----
NetBIOS would be more 'classic'...
> You can get NFS clients for Windows, or you can get a SMB server for
> linux.  The best known linux SMB server is called Samba :--)

-----
BUT -- I've never been able to get NFS to anything closer than 60-80% of
SMB -- on linux or Windows.  Note -- I was using NFS when I was at
Sun back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I didn't really get into smb until I got a job in the Windows and Unix
Interop group at SGI.

> If you don't need full filesystem semantics (and I don't think you do)
> you can look at less functional protocols.  FTP, SFTP (based on ssh),
> and rsync's network daemon are examples of less functional protocols.

---
You forget 'ssh-fs'?  wasn't it a full emulated fs-layer over ssh?
(not that I recommend that)... Stay away from encrypted links on
private home networks -- they will kill bandwidth.

> The less functional protocols are typically easier to setup and
> maintain.
----
Oh?
    It's pretty easy to mount a Windows Share on linux with linux out of
the box
and no extra softare on windows.  That's why it was top on my list
in the final recommendations.

Can't say that about rsync, or NFS, et al.

> If rsync is your backup tool of choice then the rsync
> daemon would be what I looked at.
---
Learning howto setup a daemon on windows or schedule a cron job
on windows isn't a piece of cake (and it's scheduler isn't reliable).

>   It won't handle 100% of the NTFS
> permissions / extended attributes, but do you really need that?

that's why I said it depended on what his needs were -- maybe a full
image for windows once a month/week, and daily's for data.. it realyl
depends on what his needs are.

But can you backup all the files w/o installing any SW on windows?...
only thing that comes "close" (permissions and stuff are also problematic)
is windows mount via CIFS on a linux system.