List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] NAS home backup?
From:       Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-11 16:44:43

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Thomas Taylor <linxt@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:55:40 -0700
> Thomas Taylor <linxt@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I would like to set up an older desktop system for backing up five home
>> systems over the internal LAN.  This would probably be a scheduled weekly job
>> involving both Linux and Windows boxes.
>>
>> What hardware other than the computer, LAN card, and LARGE (2+ TB-wife has
>> LOTS of photos) disk would be needed?
>>
>> I'm thinking that rsync would be the best for this use but would entertain
>> other methods.  I have a bash file that I got from someone on the OS forum
>> several years ago but looks fairly simple to modify.  My main question regards
>> backing up from the two Windows boxes.  Would that need Samba or some other
>> software?
>>
>> The backup box has:
>>   Asus M5A??  AMD socket 3 CPU
>>   4 GB RAM
>>   2+ TB hard disk
>>   old PCIe video card (Nvidia ?) for setup only
>>

>> Thanks, Tom
>>

> Thanks for all you who responded.  Will do a bit more research on your methods
> and decide what will work best for me.  If the NAS box runs a Linux kernel and
> can directly access an ntfs file system wouldn't it be possible to use a
> scheduled bash script to perform backups without needing Samba?  I'm a bit hazy
> regarding Windows-Linux file systems integration.  Know I can read the Windows
> partitions on my openSuSE box directly but not sure about over the network
>
> Thanks, Tom

To share a filesystem between computers you have to have a network protocol.

NFS is the classic linux / unix protocol.
SMB (or CIFS) is the classic Windows protocol.

You can get NFS clients for Windows, or you can get a SMB server for
linux.  The best known linux SMB server is called Samba :)

If you don't need full filesystem semantics (and I don't think you do)
you can look at less functional protocols.  FTP, SFTP (based on ssh),
and rsync's network daemon are examples of less functional protocols.

The less functional protocols are typically easier to setup and
maintain.  If rsync is your backup tool of choice then the rsync
daemon would be what I looked at.  It won't handle 100% of the NTFS
permissions / extended attributes, but do you really need that?

Greg