List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] When I have downloads running, DNS fails.
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-10 23:53:18

On 10/07/14 20:37, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On Thursday, 2014-07-10 at 19:21 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>>> Aparently, the router is not capable of prioritizing and doing two
>>> things at the same time, like doing a download, and querying upstream
>>> DNSs.
>>
>> The router might be, but there's no guarantee that the rest of your
>> uplink adheres to any QoS indicators.
>
> True, but the router could reserve some litle bandwidth for itself, so that it can still do DNS. It
> can control its own download speed, if it wants to.

I wonder if its not an issue with bandwidth but processing power? Could be that when you are
downloading, it consumes the router's CPU. Thus not even allowing its DNS service to execute. That
could explain why its DNS service seems to stall but using an external DNS service does not.

Just a thought.

Alvin