List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] 5 years later and still whining
From:       Billie Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2013-05-26 14:44:02

On 05/26/2013 08:05 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
> Billie Walsh said the following on 05/26/2013 08:42 AM:
>>
>> It also didn't help that KDE4 was foisted on the users when still a Beta
>> at best and most likely a late stage Alpha.
>>

> What ever happened to the
>     “many eyes make all bugs shallow”
> ideal of Open Source, then?
>
> Or perhaps more sensibly and wordily:
>
>   “Many eyes” identifying the issues, or a large enough beta-tester
>   base so that almost every problem will be characterized, and enough
>   developers working on fixing issues so that a fix can be developed
>   and deployed.
>
> There's another adage that might apply to the way KDE4 has worked out
>     "Release early, release often".
>

> Or would you rather the Microsoft way where the alpha and beta testing
> leave many critical bugs and security holes unpatched, critical fixes
> every Tuesday and intermittently released "roll-ups"?

If someone signs up to be a Beta Tester they go in with open eyes and
knowing what to expect. To just dump a late stage Alpha, or early stage
Beta, on the public is hardly sporting. No wonder so many users
got..................UPSET, shall we say, [ The preferred word might not
be acceptable on the list. ]  and abandoned KDE entirely. A large chunk
of what was expected to be there wasn't ready at all yet so it wasn't
released for almost six months after the official "release" of KDE4.
Half of what was there totally sucked. Certain distros were do out with
long term releases so KDE4 was dumped early to meet the deadline of the
releases.

My point with this thread was that five years on people are still
whining and moaning about it. There are options. If KDE3 is your dream
then there are distros that meet your dream. That's one of the great
things about Linux. There is something for everyone and you have
choices. If you don't like something, or it doesn't work for you, find
one that does fit your needs/desires.

I didn't like KDE4 at first any more than anyone else. The big
difference is that I didn't whine and moan about it I just hunkered down
and learned how to work with it, and make it work with me. Five years in
I'm quite happy with one exception, no Quanta+. Not a deal breaker, but
a pet peeve. I have Bluefish. Not up to Quanta+ standards but usable.

--

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
-Albert Einstein