List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Now That Novell is seling the Linux Division...
From:       "Brian K. White" <brian () aljex ! com>
Date:       2010-09-22 20:26:38

On 9/22/2010 1:29 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
> On 09/22/2010 12:50 PM, John Andersen pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
>> On 9/22/2010 9:43 AM, Philipp Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> This isn't Speakers Corner in Hyde Park but opensuse, a list for the
>>> discussion of technical matters of the distribution. This list has rules,
>>> rules that should be addhered to at least broadly.
>>
>> Re-read the list topics.
>>
>> You will find that the question at hand fits quite precisely within
>> General Questions, and user to user help.
>>

> ABOUT *TECHNICAL* ISSUES!

If opensuse becomes no good for me, it is a very technical problem
related to opensuse that I must discuss!

I wish to discuss, what technical aspects of my current use of openSUSE
will be affected by the absence or degradation of openSUSE, and how they
may be met elsewhere if necessary, and what if any aspects are not well
duplicated anywhere else.

For instance, I currently use the network installer a lot, loaded via
pxe and usb thumb drive most often. I have grown fairly comfortable with
all of the linuxrc boot commandline options to make the opensuse net
install image do things I want. Should opensuse become unsuitable, what
are the equivalent procedures for some other distro, and what other
distro comes closest in features and procedures, and/or what would it
take to fork and support opensuse elsewhere? Is that suitably technical?

Basically every detail of my use of opensuse is a technical detail with
some considerable thought, testing, experience, and documentation for my
co-workers and my future self behind it. Every one of those technical
details needs to be examined for portability as a result of this news,
even though there is no real news yet. The specter alone is already
sufficient justification for taking a look over your operation and
trying to identify potential problems.

Shut up with the shutting up!

--
bkw