List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] This guy _really_ likes kde 4.5
From:       Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang () sweet-haven ! com>
Date:       2010-09-16 15:21:07

  On 09/16/2010 01:45 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
> On Thursday 16 Sep 2010 04:57:15 Rajko M. wrote:
>> On Wednesday 15 September 2010 17:25:57 Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>> If I upgrade to 4.5, should I
>>> expect dolphin to become unreliable?
>> Yes.
>> Complaints usually come after upgrade to 4.5 :(
>> (I downgraded to 4.4 twice)
>> Cure is dbus and kernel upgrade.
>> I used HEAD repo for kernel.
>> Not sure what dbus package to use.
>>
>> I located few newer versions (1.3.2 and 1.4.0) in home repositories on OBS,
>> but who knows what for they are:
>> http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE:11.3&q="dbus-1"
> Would this also explain why my mouse pointer gets stuck every 30 secs or so?
> My keyboard buffer is also sluggish, and intermittently loses characters. IOW
> I'm typing away (I'm not a fast typer, so I'm not filling up the buffer
> quickly) when the screen stops displaying the characters I've typed. After a
> few seconds, it catches up, but may have forgotten some of the characters, so
> I have to keep going back and correcting my work. This can be especially
> frustrating when it happens while I'm entering a masked password on a website,
> for example.

My symptom freezes the whole screen for a few seconds, maybe as many as five.  During
the freeze nothing than be done, even video from tvtime is kaput, but audio
continues.  The freeze was initiated when moving the mouse between open windows,
causing a focus shift.  Very annoying!

I followed Rajko's link above and tried a one-click dbus upgrade from this repository:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rwooninck:/testing-knm4/openSUSE_11.3/

So far, this seems to have fixed the problem on my 64-bit Nvidia system!  Thanks to
everyone for the pointers.

Regards,
Lew