List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] This guy _really_ likes kde 4.5
From:       Bob Williams <linux () barrowhillfarm ! org ! uk>
Date:       2010-09-16 14:38:31

On Thursday 16 Sep 2010 14:43:19 Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Thursday September 16 2010, Bob Williams wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 Sep 2010 04:57:15 Rajko M. wrote:
> >
> > Would this also explain why my mouse pointer gets stuck every 30 secs
> > or so? My keyboard buffer is also sluggish, and intermittently loses
> > characters. IOW I'm typing away (I'm not a fast typer, so I'm not
> > filling up the buffer quickly) when the screen stops displaying the
> > characters I've typed. After a few seconds, it catches up, but may
> > have forgotten some of the characters, so I have to keep going back
> > and correcting my work. This can be especially frustrating when it
> > happens while I'm entering a masked password on a website, for
> > example.
>
> Does everything with a connection to the screen pause? In my experience,
> things that you can tell are running but don't interact with the screen
> continue (audio plays, e.g.) but everything else pauses. Even mouse
> tracking freezes during these pauses.
>
> I run GKrellM and a CPU spike that is bout 70% kernel mode is recorded
> for the duration of these pauses, though it appears there only after
> the pause is over, since as I said, all graphics updating pauses.
>
> I have this symptom usually only when 3D apps are running, but it can
> occur at other times. Some digging on the Web turned up a kernel
> command line (boot-time) parameter that virtually eliminated the
> symptom outside of 3D apps:
>
> 	vmalloc=192M
>

> However, it's still too common when running 3D apps, and I find it
> _extremely_ annoying and disruptive and would dearly love to figure out
> what's going on and how to fix it. It is definitely not periodic and
> the pauses are of varying durations, from less than a second to a few
> seconds.

I'm currently running gkrellm, Amarok, Firefox, Kontact, Krusader, two
instances of OpenOffice and mc in a terminal. Yakuake is running, but hidden,
and I've got KeepassX, Basketnotes and skype in the system tray. I don't think
any of those are 3D apps?

> This symptom appeared for me as soon as I replaced the open-source
> nVidia driver with the proprietary one and was unaffected by the KDE
> 4.5.1 upgrade.

Your description seems to fit. I also run gkrellm, and notice the spikes.

I shall try the boot parameter you suggest above.

> > My system details are in my sig, below.
> >
> > Bob
> > openSUSE 11.3, Kernel 2.6.34.12-desktop, KDE 4.5.1
> > Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz, 8GB DDR RAM, nVidia GeForce 9600GT
>
> My configuration is similar. Dual core, not quad, 4 GB not 8, nVidia
> 8600GT, not 9600GT.
>
> You don't say whether you're running 32-bit or 64. I'm running 32-bit.

64-bit

--
Registered Linux User #463880		FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E