List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] How to configure konqueror to show KB and MB instead of KiB and MiB??
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-07-13 8:27:42

Am Montag, 13. Juli 2009 09:35:02 schrieb David C. Rankin:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 06:54:11 am Per Jessen wrote:
> > David C. Rankin wrote:
> > > The question is "where can I turn the stupid "i" off to get MB and KB
> > > back?"
> >
> > There really ought to be a locale(ish) or Konqueror-specific setting to
> > indicate how file sizes should be displayed.

> 	Yes there are a lot of things in kde4 that are big disappointments from a
> configuration standpoint. Instead of being able to set icon size in px, now
> your only choices are small, medium and large (would you like fries with
> that too?)
>
> 	That's but one example. Another is this MB MiB issue. Why don't I have to
> option to configure this? KDE has always been about the users ability to
> customize the desktop to their liking and their needs. For you devs working
> on these issues, please remember that. We don't want and one-size-fits-all
> desktop. If I did, I'd use gnome. I want the options to configure the
> display pretty much to the same level I can in kde3. Nothing more or
> special.

I guess it's the same as the so called bling, some think it is necessary for
whatever reason and be it only to be able to customise your desktop, others
think it clutters the desktop, distracts from the real work and adds no value
but for a few effect-geeks. Being able to configure everything might also be a
"one-size" that does not fit everybody, e.g. because it could be too
overwhelming.

I found http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/20973.html which is about the "lack
of configuration options" topic and the comments show pretty well, that the
perception is twofold even regarding whether there are really that many and
important configs missing. The question is, where does configuration overkill
start, i.e. only a few would use that feature and it would be perceived as
clutter by the majority, and where does the "clean interface" approach start
to hinder work.

Gnome is one extreme of this matter, KDE3 was the other.

Certainly e.g. printing is IMHO one application that really lacks some
settings and does hinder work.

Sven