List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
From:       Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam () whitemice ! org>
Date:       2009-06-16 20:43:14

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 16:28 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/06/16 21:26 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:
> > I don't the efficiency of a desktop PC is really much of a topic.  When
> > we're talking about computational power per unit-of-energy, it's not
> > very useful to talk about a system that is idling and in power-save
> > mode most of the time.  In fact, I have to wonder if average power
> > consumption on the desktop really is up - I would have thought
> > power-saving measures have become so much better in just the last 2-3
> > years, that average consumption would have gone down.
> I don't see how anyone could infer our discussion applies to systems in power
> saving modes. Whatever gets used in those modes isn't materially related to
> what gets used when the systems are actually _used_. None of my systems are
> ever allowed into a "power saving mode", other than being turned off when
> unneeded.

Why not?  Power savings features have worked very smoothly for quite
some time.  Back-in-the-day there were many problems.

> Probably newer systems are better at getting into and out of power savings

Newer systems also scale their clock-rate and other featuers on a
moment-by-moment basis,  which means power consumption floats *allot*
(highly variable) but over any reasonable stretch of time modern systems
come out ahead.