List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2009-06-16 17:45:35

On 2009/06/16 19:24 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Oh, and the modern speedy systems make better room heaters too. That
>> and the added electricity they consume may be another reason to keep
>> the old stuff online until it expires on its own.

> Maybe it's a case of YMMV, but my experience is exactly the opposite -
> we've very recently replaced a number of older Compaq Proliant
> quad-PIII 700MHz machines with a single modern 8-core 2.8GHz HP
> Proliant.  The new box does quite a lot more work per kwH.  Older
> single-core systems really are a lot less energy efficient.

A quad PIII is anything but run of the mill. More typical PIII machines can
get by on 120 watt or less power supplies, with 200 or 225 typically
installed, instead of a  demand for 300 watt or more like in current systems.
40mm & 60mm fans worked for PIII coolers. Few current chips are happy with
less than 80mm fans for their coolers, and 90mm isn't unusual.

Gfxcards used to need no chip coolers. Now passive coolers aren't even
enough. Those large active gfxcard coolers mean a lot more heat is generated
in modern systems.

Newer might be slightly more efficient per MHz, or even considerably more,
but they're mostly running  at 3-10 times the MHz, with highly demanding
gfxcards, so doing more room heating and watt consumption on average.
--
"Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone,
for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/