List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
From:       Per Jessen <per () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2009-06-16 17:24:24

Felix Miata wrote:

> Oh, and the modern speedy systems make better room heaters too. That
> and the added electricity they consume may be another reason to keep
> the old stuff online until it expires on its own.

Maybe it's a case of YMMV, but my experience is exactly the opposite -
we've very recently replaced a number of older Compaq Proliant
quad-PIII 700MHz machines with a single modern 8-core 2.8GHz HP
Proliant.  The new box does quite a lot more work per kwH.  Older
single-core systems really are a lot less energy efficient.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.3 °C)