List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
From:       Larry Stotler <larrystotler () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-16 15:31:21

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Roger Oberholtzer<roger@opq.se> wrote:
> I have had a request by a client to see if some legacy hardware is
> supported by openSUSE 10.3. Most of the things they asked about I could
> sort out. It just left me with this:
>        ASUS P2B-S Motherboard (CPU - Pentium 2 350/512/100/2.0 S1)

Upgrade the CPU to a P3/450 at least.

>        ATI Mach 64 PCI

I have this in a PowerMac with a G4/533 and it plays movies just fine,
and the desktop is smooth if slightly slow.  I had 11.0 installed on a
Thinkpad 390x with a Neomagic 256/2.5MB chip and it was fine.  It also
had a P3/450.

> The system should run KDE 3.5. No fancy graphics effects. I suspect it
> could be pushing it with a 350 MHz P2. Even id the graphics card is
> decent. Aside from suggesting a hardware upgrade, any constructive
> opinions?

Processor upgrade to at least a P3/500 and the more RAM the better.  I
have 2 thinkpads with 256MB RAM, and they get slow if I open more than
3 or 4 tabs in Firefox running KDE3.5.10.  One's a P3/700 with a 4MB
ATI Mobility(Rage) and the other is a P3/1Ghz with an 8MB Card.