List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Stupid Google Redirect URL Utility
From:       Matthias Titeux <matthias.titeux () inserm ! fr>
Date:       2009-06-11 10:29:09

Le Tuesday 09 June 2009 00:37:51 Randall R Schulz, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am most peeved by Google's recent change that make it impossible to
> copy URLs or Save Link As... from the search results pages.
>
> So I wrote a couple scripts to ease the process a bit. The basic script
> and the pair as a whole are named for an initialism for Stupid Google
> Redirect URL: SGRU (which you should feel free to pronounce
> as "screw").
>
> - sgru [stupid-Google-Redirect-URL]
>   Convert a SGRU to a real URL. If no command-line parameter is given,
> the contents of the Klipboard is used.
>
> - sgruget [stupid-Google-Reirect-URL]
>   Retrieve a the contents of a SGRU using wget. If no command-line
> parameter is given, the contents of the Klipboard is used.
>
> - klip
>   Manipulate the Klipboard from the command line
>
> For me, the most common use is to copy-link one of these URLs switch to
> a shell and run either sgru (if I need the URL) or sgruget (if I want
> to download).
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that wget preserves the modification time
> returned by the server while simply saving a URL from Firefox does not.
> So if you're used to seeing newly downloaded files at the top of a
> time-ordered directory listing, this may surprise you.
>
> Although I haven't done it yet, I think assigning a global keyboard
> accelerator to the default (no-argument) "sgru" invocation would be
> useful, especially if you like to copy URLs from Google search results
> pages often.
>

> Randall Schulz

I presume that your are using www.google.com.
What is weird is that this new google behaviour is not (yet ?) implemented in
other google sites (tested www.google.fr; www.google.co.uk; www.google.nl;
www.google.es).

I assume that unfortunately it will change in few days....or is a US specific
feature ?

Cheers

--
	  / \