List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Stupid Google Redirect URL Utility
From:       Ted Markowitz <tjm () cognosys ! net>
Date:       2009-06-09 14:23:48

Randall,

WRT the Firefox extension you suggested: I think there might be
something like what you're thinking of already. I use Greasemonkey
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748), which is a
Javascript re-writer,  and along with it one of the scripts from
http://userscripts.org, i.e., something called "GoogleMonkeyR"
(http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/9310). Among other things it does
like multi-column layout of the search results,  etc., it also adds a
"Trackless" link to each of the search results with all the Google-cruft
removed from the URL.

//ted

Randall R Schulz wrote the following on 06/08/2009 06:37 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I am most peeved by Google's recent change that make it impossible to
> copy URLs or Save Link As... from the search results pages.
>
> So I wrote a couple scripts to ease the process a bit. The basic script
> and the pair as a whole are named for an initialism for Stupid Google
> Redirect URL: SGRU (which you should feel free to pronounce
> as "screw").
>
> - sgru [stupid-Google-Redirect-URL]
>   Convert a SGRU to a real URL. If no command-line parameter is given,
> the contents of the Klipboard is used.
>
> - sgruget [stupid-Google-Reirect-URL]
>   Retrieve a the contents of a SGRU using wget. If no command-line
> parameter is given, the contents of the Klipboard is used.
>
> - klip
>   Manipulate the Klipboard from the command line
>
> For me, the most common use is to copy-link one of these URLs switch to
> a shell and run either sgru (if I need the URL) or sgruget (if I want
> to download).
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that wget preserves the modification time
> returned by the server while simply saving a URL from Firefox does not.
> So if you're used to seeing newly downloaded files at the top of a
> time-ordered directory listing, this may surprise you.
>
> Although I haven't done it yet, I think assigning a global keyboard
> accelerator to the default (no-argument) "sgru" invocation would be
> useful, especially if you like to copy URLs from Google search results
> pages often.
>

> Randall Schulz

*TED MARKOWITZ*

WWW: www.unh-ececs.net/tjm <http://www.unh-ececs.net/tjm>
email: tmarkowitz@newhaven.edu
phone: 1-203-984-6565
fax: 1-203-655-2400

*Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
      and Computer Science
Tagliatela School of Engineering
University of New Haven
West Haven, CT 06516 *