List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Stupid Google Redirect URL Utility
From:       Randall R Schulz <rschulz () sonic ! net>
Date:       2009-06-09 13:54:26

On Tuesday June 9 2009, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:

> >> I was logged in. I now 'signed out' but still get the evil page if
> >> javascript is enabled.
> >
> > You do realize that it's only the URL that you get if you Copy Link
> > Location or Save Link As.., right? If you just click the search
> > result, the net result is to redirect back through Google to the
> > actual search hit URL. It's basically transparent to the browser
> > user for simple link clicks and allows Google to get feedback on
> > search quality (something I have no problem with).
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the intent of your comment. But if it is
> related, I use View/Message Source to determine which page I'm
> getting.

Then you're not going to see it (if you have JavaScript enabled and are
logged in to Google).

I just looked a the source for a Google search results page and you
cannot find any of the result text (link titles or URLs) that appears
in the rendered page. Apparently most of the page's DOM is synthesized
by JavaScript code.

Another interesting aspect of this is that if you just mouse over the
search hit link, the address shown in the lower-left-hand corner of the
browser is the correct link. But as soon as you mouse down (right or
left) on that link it switches to the SGRU. You can see it happen in
the link address feedback (at least on Firefox).

> Cheers, Dave

Randall Schulz