List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Boot problemI am having some problem with my old pc.
From:       Gunnar <gunnar.haland () c2i ! net>
Date:       2009-05-22 4:32:56

Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/05/21 19:23 (GMT+0100) Gunnar composed:
>
>> I am having some problem with my old pc. My 11.1 on sda1 will not start.
>
> What happens when you try? What messages if any show on screen?

>> I have an 11.0 on a sdb disk, this one work.
>
> Normal boot? Can you access your 11.1 / partition from it?
>
>> When I put in a livecd 11.1 - Ubuntu - Mint, it booot ok, but it
>> will  not start,
>
> What means "will not start"?
>
>> - Ubuntu and Mint start in a Text mode,
>
> Then they do start? Why do you say "not start"?
>
>> Opensuse can not find  my cd/dvd,
>
> Is it on an IDE (PATA) controller? Are all other disks on SATA controllers?
> What video chip is in your system? What CPU? How old is it?
>
>> still it boot ok from the livecd. Puppy linux work
>> fine, its only a 100 mb. The Hardwareinfo tell me that I have 1035420 of
>> total memory.
>> I have run test on the memory for more than an hour, and works fin, no
>> erorrs.
>
> Did you install something new right before the problem started? Did you
> change some configuration or a BIOS setting before the problem started?

When I start my pc with opensuse livecd in, it start as normal, the
welcome screen and the start meny work, but when it is starting in "live
mode" it hang after a minute, with a error message on alt+f4, telling me
that it did not find a cd/dvd, rebooting in 120 sec.

Ubuntu and Mint live cd start as normal, the welcom screen - I press
start Ubuntu/Mint live, the Ubuntu/Mint start, but it stops in a couple
of minutes in a text mode, do not remember the text, but there are no
error messages.

I have no problem to access my sda1 from my working old Opensuse, and
from my working Puppy Linux.

I can not remeber to have changed anything in my bios, and the only
thing that I have "installed" is Puppy Linux, but I run it as a live cd,
and have not installed it.

I have an 5 year old Scalero, with Ide controller and Athlon .

Gunnar H