List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Problems with KDE-4.0
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-01-14 5:49:01

Rajko M. wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008 08:52:57 am Frank Fiene wrote:
>
>> On Sonntag 13 Januar 2008, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>>> Frank Fiene wrote:
>>>
>>> You will, of course, get the usual responses stating that everything
>>> works well for 'them' so the problem obviously is with your set-up
>>> and, therefore, you should submit a bugzilla, detailing everything,
>>> including the size of your shoes, before anyone considers your
>>> 'complaint' even worthy of attention.
>>>
>>> Having stated this, I thank you for your message and have concluded
>>> that much passage of time will have to occur before I even consider
>>> trying to install KDE4 :-) .
>>>
>> Yes it seems to be no one klick installation yet.
>>
>> There are many good ideas like desktop icons configuring like an mini
>> application. I like also the new kcontrol. But this is all KDE4, it
>> will be a big improvement but the openSUSE packages are far away from
>> usuable if you have to use kmail, kopete etc.
>>

> To disappoint Basil,

You are not, in any way, 'disappointing' me. I am beyond
'disappointment' :-) .

>  this time the answer is different.
Oh? How so?

> This is first release in KDE4 series and it is created just as any before,
> under common opensource development idea to release software often. In the
> opensource world there is no test lab, and there is no finished product idea
> as functionality is added on the go, not by customer or marketing department
> specifications.

So, according to this, 'CHAOS' reigns - "and all is well with the world".

> What confused many, including me, is the version addon like Beta, than RC that
> I deciphered in the same way as openSUSE Beta or RC. I have forgotten that
> open source has no common standards for version numbering, that will
> associate certain features and code quality to the number.

Perhaps, then, it is time that some "method in the madness" be
introduced for the benefit of the 'common good - ie, the 'punters who
use the software' - no?

> For instance k3b in openSUSE 10.3 is now version 1.03 and it is fine software
> for a long time before it was 1.0.
> Smart is 0.51 and already works fine.
Ahem..... smart, which I have installed in 10.3, is 0.52-5.1.

And I agree, it does work very well - much, much better than the zypper
in 10.3 which I used for some time before realising that it was, once
again, a dud. smart advises me that there are upgrades while zypper/YaST
remains totally, and absolutely, dumb.

And zypper/YaST were installed - and used for some weeks - as per the
normal 10.3 insallation (smart was nowhere to be seen for weeks).

>  Each developer gives numbers as he/she
> finds fit,

I am sure that you did not really mean this. Even the leading exponent
of 'chaos', "The OS which shall not be named", doesn't follow this concept.

>  so one has to ask developer for explanation, or simply try
> software and see the features, not to assume from number what is included.

Kinda difficult to assume, or second-guess, what a developer has in mind
if one accepts this idea.

> More details you can find in http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4 title 'What to expect
> of KDE 4.0'. They provide 3 links to articles that explain how KDE developers
> see the version numbering
I accept this, but, unfortunately, I cannot boot the CD(s) created from
the downloaded ISO of the KDE4 LIVE made available a couple of days ago.

Ciao.

--
Past experience, if not forgotten, is a guide for the future.