List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Extracting still frame from video
From:       Stevens <fred00sandy () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2007-04-21 13:44:50

On Saturday 21 April 2007 02:18, Steven T. Hatton wrote:

> This really is very important.  Can anybody suggest a way of converting a
> video to a sequence of still frames, or at least capturing evenly spaced
> frames? Ctrl+J with kaffeine doesn't always put the video where the time
> stamp indicates, so I can't use that.
> --
> Steven

After looking at that video, I can't for the life of me understand why it is
so important, even if it is for the most ardent conspiracy theorist. Having
said that, here is your answer direct from the FAQ page for mplayer:

"how do i extract frames from videos? how do i make thumbnails from videos?
how do i make a gallery of images from a movie?

    * mplayer -vo jpeg -sstep 30 -frames 10 yourfile
    * add -vf scale=320:240 if you want smaller image size...
    * use -vf framestep if sstep does not work on your source.
           also check out this howto for using ffmpeg or mencoder to create
movies http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/ffmpeg/ "