List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] USB not working with openSuSE 10.2  final version (i.e. retail boxed version)
From:       Richard Pace <rpace () sbcglobal ! net>
Date:       2007-01-12 15:24:25

On Monday 08 January 2007 05:50, Richard Pace wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 14:32, Niels Øtergaard Kjær wrote:
> > Richard Pace wrote:
> > > I've reported this to Novell, bug report 231118, and also posted to
> > > KDE-Linux list with no response from KDE-Linux, and it doesn't appear
> > > that anyone at Novell has any reply yet to the problem report.  I
> > > thought I'd check here if anyone has experienced this problem.  I've
> > > installed SuSE 10.2 on a new HP Pavilion with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual. I
> > > had to use boot option ACPI=off in order to install.  Otherwise, the
> > > boot hangs at "Starting udev...". After installation of 10.2, I still
> > > have to use ACPI=off (does not power off at shutdown either, but that's
> > > another problem).
> > >
> > > Now for the problem.  External USB drive is not recogized when plugged
> > > into USB 2.0 port. External drive has its own power supply.  Also, USB
> > > memory stick is not recognized when plugged into USB port. I know the
> > > ports work, since I have Windows XP installed as dual boot, and Windows
> > > XP has no problem recongizing the devices.
> > >
> > > There is no /proc/bus/usb defined.
> > >
> > > lsusb shows no devices.  lsmod shows usbcore installed along with
> > > ohci_hcd and ehci_hcd.
> > >
> > > I have attached my startup log which shows some errors with ohci_hcd
> > > and ehci_hcd drivers.  I'm convinced these errors are at the cord of
> > > the problem.  And from what I've, perhaps it is related to the fact
> > > that I can't boot with ACPI - I'm not an expert in kernel stuff and
> > > drivers, though.
> > > Specifically, these lines appears in the log:
> > >
> > > <6>usbcore: registered new driver usbfs
> > > <6>usbcore: registered new driver hub
> > > <7>PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:10.1 to 64
> > > <7>ohci_hcd: 2005 April 22 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
> > > (PCI) ....
> > > <4>PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 0000:00:0b.0.
> > > Probably buggy MP table. <3>ohci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: Found HC with no
> > > IRQ.  Check BIOS/PCI 0000:00:0b.0 setup! <3>ohci_hcd 0000:00:0b.0: init
> > > 0000:00:0b.0 fail, -19
> > > <4>PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 0000:00:0b.1.
> > > Probably buggy MP table.
> > > <3>ehci_hcd 0000:00:0b.1: Found HC with no IRQ.  Check
> > > BIOS/PCI 0000:00:0b.1 setup!
> > > <3>ehci_hcd 0000:00:0b.1: init 0000:00:0b.1
> > > fail, -19
> > >
> > > There aren't any BIOS settings that will affect IRQs.  It's an ASUS
> > > A8N-BR motherboard with Phoenix Bios from Sept 2006 (i.e. it's
> > > current). There is a USB Legacy Bios setting which is set to "AUTO".
> > > I've tried that with "DISABLE" and "ENABLE" with no effect.
> > >
> > > I've tried several other boot options in different combinations with no
> > > effect: acpi_user_timer_override  nomsi pci=routeirq acpi=oldboot
> > > noapic When I use "noapic", boot messages suggest using "pci=biosirq".
> > > However when I tried using "pci=biosirq", I get "biosirq unknown kernel
> > > option" or something like that.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions and/or comments appreciated.

> [...]
Installation of latest x86_84 kernel fixed the problem.  The new kernel
allowed me to remove "acpi=off" from the boot parameters, thus allowing acpi
support and PCI routing to take place.  It also resolved the incomplete
shutdown problem.  Obtained kernel from:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/x86_64/HEAD/kernel-default.x86_64.rpm
which as of yesterday is a 2.6.20_rc4... kernel.

So I went from 2.6.18 to 2.6.20 kernel.
Richard