List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse]  Re: System won't shut down [SOLVED]
From:       Robert Lewis <rll () felton ! felton ! ca ! us>
Date:       2007-01-12 15:22:51

Joachim Schrod wrote:
> Robert Lewis wrote:
>> Paul Abrahams wrote:

>>> The problem started after I turned off ACPI in the BIOS, though I
>>> didn't immediately realize that.  Turning ACPI back on restored the
>>> correct shutdown behavior.  There still might be a bug lurking here,
>>> though; why should the ACPI setting prevent the computer from
>>> shutting down?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>> In my experience the shutdown from the various GUI choices are
>> problematic,
>> intermittant and not reliable.   Using as root from a terminal session:
>> shutdown -y -g0 -i0 always works for me.
>
> Since when does SUSE accept the Solaris command options?
>
> According to the man page (and the usage message) SUSE still uses the
> traditional
> shutdown -h now
> style to call. (Which is actually better, IMHO; if I want to switch to
> another init level, I can use telinit and maybe shutdown -k before.)
>
> Cheers,
>     Joachim

What I was hoping for was a more direct response to why these icons for
shutdown are
intermittant.

The shutdown command as I typed it predated Solaris and came from AT&T
as early as System 3,

Shutdown is better to use than init because it had more flexability and
isn't as
abrupt as init.   I guess init 0 is ok if your the only (ab)user of the
system.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, how about a little support from  you guys
for the
concept of getting the GUI based shutdown to work reliably?