List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () globalsymmetry ! com>
Date:       2006-12-20 22:44:00

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 16:10, Joachim Kieferle wrote:
> Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > It just keeps getting worse.  I really don't want to change my email
> > address, but it's all over the Internet, and the spammers are killing my
> > inbox.  I don't want to spend a lot of time on this issue, I just want to
> > be able to block these idiots.  I'm running a postfix mail server.  Is
> > there an easy was to thwart spam?  I use the filters built into KMail,
> > but they seem almost worthless.
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> adding
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =  [ ......],
>                                 reject_rhsbl_client
> blackhole.securitysage.com,
>                                 reject_rhsbl_sender
> blackhole.securitysage.com,
>                                 reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
>                                 reject_rbl_client blackholes.easynet.nl,
>                                 reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
>                                 reject_rbl_client
> proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net,
>                                 reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
>                                 reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,
>                                 reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
>                                 reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
>                                 reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
>                                 reject_rbl_client multihop.dsbl.org
>

> to the "main.cf" on the mailserver already reduced the amount of spam by
> approx. 50% on our server  [....] means that you should leave your
> current policies like "permit_mynetworks" how it currently is.
>
> Postgrey http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/postgrey/ has also been mentioned
> to reduce the amount of spam quite well. I'll use that on one of the
> upcoming mailservers, so I don't have any experience with that up to now.
>
> However both recommendations just work on mailservers directly accepting
> the mail,
>
> best
>
> Joachim
Well, I'm still getting mail from this list, so it's not blocking everything.
It will take some time to determine if I've blocked things I don't want
blocked.  So far I have no new spam in the inbox in over an hour.  That is
very good.  Far better than 50%.  Thanks

Steven
--
"Whoever controls the histories of nations
controls those nations and their peoples."