List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
From:       Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e () japantest ! homelinux ! com>
Date:       2006-12-20 21:14:49

Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> It just keeps getting worse.  I really don't want to change my email address,
> but it's all over the Internet, and the spammers are killing my inbox.  I
> don't want to spend a lot of time on this issue, I just want to be able to
> block these idiots.  I'm running a postfix mail server.  Is there an easy was
> to thwart spam?  I use the filters built into KMail, but they seem almost
> worthless.

If you are running a postfix mailserver you have the perfect means to kill
off most of the spam by rejecting the mail. Do you really administer the
mx server of your domain?

The problem is that each setup has specific needs and you can't use
one-approach-fits-all-situation recipe. That's why I am a bit careful
about giving concrete advice without knowing your situation and needs.

My company is using a postfix mailgateway to weed out most spam and
viruses before spamassassin even gets the opportunity to check the rest of
the accepted mails.

In any case, you have to decide for yourself how important it is not to
reject mails from badly configured servers, that you still want to accept
or to reduce the number of spams effectively.

If you want to reduce spam to a comfortable small number you can either
invest money (buy the neccessary expertise) or time (understand the
system). You won't get a reasonable result without investing some hours
into spamfighting.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!