List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
From:       Joachim Kieferle <joakie () fab ! fh-wiesbaden ! de>
Date:       2006-12-20 21:10:41

Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> It just keeps getting worse.  I really don't want to change my email address,
> but it's all over the Internet, and the spammers are killing my inbox.  I
> don't want to spend a lot of time on this issue, I just want to be able to
> block these idiots.  I'm running a postfix mail server.  Is there an easy was
> to thwart spam?  I use the filters built into KMail, but they seem almost
> worthless.

Hi Steven,

adding

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =  [ ......],
                                reject_rhsbl_client
blackhole.securitysage.com,
                                reject_rhsbl_sender
blackhole.securitysage.com,
                                reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
                                reject_rbl_client blackholes.easynet.nl,
                                reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
                                reject_rbl_client
proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net,
                                reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
                                reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,
                                reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
                                reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
                                reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
                                reject_rbl_client multihop.dsbl.org

to the "main.cf" on the mailserver already reduced the amount of spam by
approx. 50% on our server  [....] means that you should leave your
current policies like "permit_mynetworks" how it currently is.

Postgrey http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/postgrey/ has also been mentioned
to reduce the amount of spam quite well. I'll use that on one of the
upcoming mailservers, so I don't have any experience with that up to now.

However both recommendations just work on mailservers directly accepting
the mail,

best

Joachim