List:       opensuse
Subject:    RE: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] SUSE Linux 10.1 "Remastered" available
From:       "Administrator" <admin () different-perspectives ! com>
Date:       2006-10-20 13:01:05

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > "Administrator" <admin@different-perspectives.com> writes:
>
> >> I have a minor complaint about this ...
> >>
> >> Because you "replaced" the original DVD images, and I was part way
> >> through downloading them using bittorrent, the downloaded
> files I had
> >> were then a nice mix of the old and new, and I've been
> serving this
> >> mix back to people who were also downloading the DVD images using
> >> torrent.  I've only just noticed, and so deleted
> everything that had
> >> been downloaded.  How many other people are in the same position?
> >>
> >> Can I suggest that this policy should be reconsidered, or
> something
> >> done to ensure the partial torrent downloads don't become corrupt?
> >
> > We did not want to have both at the same time out there to
> save space
> > on the mirrors.
> >
> > Sorry for this breakage, for next time we have to think of
> a different
> > way to do it,
>
> Each "different way" will bring the same problem: There is a
> point in time where the old image gets deleted...
> The sooner, the better.

The problem isn't deleted, but replaced / updated.  The former means the
download fails.  The latter means the download gets (silently) corrupted.
Big difference!

I understand why it was replaced ... it means fewer web site updates as all
the links didn't need to be found and updated.

Can I suggest an alternative which is used successfully elsewhere.  The
"originals" are created with some kind of date / version, and then links are
created which don't have a version / date and which point to the most recent
good version.  The torrents would be the same, i.e. have embedded in them
the file name with the version / date, and would need to be udpated when a
new version is created.