List:       opensolaris-install-discuss
Subject:    Re: [install-discuss] EPIC FAIL: OpenSolaris 2008.05 Boot Fails -
From:       UNIX admin <tripivceta () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2008-07-31 5:04:55

> I decided to put Solaris 10 on my
> old server, which is a U1 Gateway 935 series, which
> has 2x Intel P3 1GHz, 1GB Memory, SCSI, I believe
> 20GB drive, SCSI CD-ROM, etc.

That configuration should be more than fine, considering the following information:

[user@host][~] 4> cat /etc/release
                            RTP Solaris 10 6/06 i86pc
                             Assembled 26 July 2006
                        Solaris 10 6/06 s10x_u2wos_09a X86
           Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                        Use is subject to license terms.
                             Assembled 09 June 2006
[user@host][~] 4> /usr/sbin/psrinfo -v
Status of virtual processor 0 as of: 07/31/2008 07:53:12
  on-line since 05/19/2008 20:08:02.
  The i386 processor operates at 200 MHz,
        and has an i387 compatible floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 1 as of: 07/31/2008 07:53:12
  on-line since 05/19/2008 20:08:08.
  The i386 processor operates at 200 MHz,
        and has an i387 compatible floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 2 as of: 07/31/2008 07:53:12
  on-line since 05/19/2008 20:08:10.
  The i386 processor operates at 200 MHz,
        and has an i387 compatible floating point processor.
Status of virtual processor 3 as of: 07/31/2008 07:53:12
  on-line since 05/19/2008 20:08:12.
  The i386 processor operates at 200 MHz,
        and has an i387 compatible floating point processor.
[user@host][~] 4>

Yes, that's right: those are 200MHz Pentium Pro CPUs.
The system has only 768MB RAM:

[user@host][~] 4> /usr/sbin/prtconf | head -2
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  i86pc
Memory size: 768 Megabytes
[user@host][~] 4>

> I first tried Solaris 10, as that is what I wish to
> learn.  If I were to ever work on Solaris in the
> context of my career, that is what it would involve.
> We booted to the Copyright messages on all three of
> the boot options, and no further.  I'm guessing that
> basically means initrd with through and that's about
> it.  Instant crash... lockup.

If you get the "SunOS 5.x ..." message, it means that the kernel has loaded and \
started successfully, however, there is a driver that is loaded after that and is \
locking up your system.

Try booting with the -kd option in GRUB, this should kick you into the kernel \
debugger.

Continue to boot and Solaris will stop in the kernel debugger.

Then enable verbose message printing:
[0]> prom_debug/W 1

Next, enable module loading tracking during the boot:
[0]> moddebug/W 0x80000000

Now, continue to boot:
[0]> :c

When the system hangs, press [F1]+a to enter the debugger and run:
[0]> $<msgbuf

Good luck.