List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    [osol-help] Re: SATA controller card hangs install (Need help)
From:       Jürgen_Keil <jk () tools ! de>
Date:       2006-11-20 1:50:24

> I'm trying to install Nexenta OS Alpha 6 (OpenSolaris build 50).
>
> I'm building a file server with some old components, modeled after the build here:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/PlasticPixel/entry/build_your_own_multi_terabyte
>
> I'm using:
>
> Soyo Dragon SY-P4-645DX Dragon Ulta Motherboard based on the SiS 645DX chip set.
> http://www.soyo.com/dl/manuals/p4/mp4sx210.pdf
> Intel Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz
> 512 RAM
> 3 Syba SD-SATA-4P PCI SATA Controller Cards (based on the Silicon Image 3114) with \
> the latest Silicon Image IDE (non-RAID) bios 5.3.14
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124020

AFAIK, the Silicon Image 3114 devices use the standard "ata" Solaris driver,
not the new S-ATA framework based drivers.

> The install CD boot hangs while configuring devices
> if I have the SATA controllers with all drives
> connected.  If I remove all the Syba cards I get to
> the Installer Welcome screen.
>
> If I leave in only 1 Syba SATA controller with no
> drives attached I get to the Installer Welcome
> screen.  If I attach 1 drive to the Syba SATA
> controller I get to the Installer Welcome screen.  If
> I attach two drives to the Syba SATA controller I get
> the same as if I have all the cards in.
>
> Here is where it hangs:
>
> 	ATAPI device at targ 0, lun 0 lastlun 0x0
> 	model DV-rW IDE1008
> PDI-device:	ide@1, ata1
> ata1 is /pci@0,0/pci-ide@2,5/ide@1
> 	IDE device at targ 0, lun 0 lastlun 0x0
> 	model ST3400620AS
> 	ATA/ATAPI-7 supported, majver 0xfe, minver 0x0
> 	IDE device at targ 1, lun 0 last lun 0x0
> 	model ST3400620AS
> 	ATA/ATAPI-7 supported, majver 0xfe, minver 0x0
>
> It seems obvious that the SATA controller is the
> problem, not sure how to get around it.  Other people
> claim to be using this same card and other Silicon
> Image 3114 based cards.

A wild guess is that this could be bug 6414472, "ata-x86: lockup
in ata_id_common(), when using shared pci interrupts":

http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6414472