List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    [osol-help] x2100 USB Keyboard does not work after grub,
From:       "Eric J. Ray" <eric.ray () sun ! com>
Date:       2006-06-11 13:13:16

All,

I've spend a couple of days googling, but haven't come up with a solution yet.

The USB keyboard on my x2100 works only sometimes, at best. It's
consistent, but not too useful.

I just purchased (personal) a x2100, and am trying to get it up and running,
but keep running into keyboard issues. I have a Sun USB type 6 keyboard
that I've tried plugging into all 4 back ports plus both front ports and the
behavior is consistent.

Keyboard works:
 - in Grub
 - in BIOS
 - in DOS & SP and BIOS flash utilities
 - in GUI (default) part of Solaris install

Keyboard doesn't work:
 - at console
 - in beginning part of Solaris install when trying to choose install mode

I'm currently stuck when the system (newly reinstalled, but prematurely
rebooted because of this problem) comes up and complains about
the boot archive. I cannot Ctrl+d, enter the root password, or anything.

When booting, the keyboard Numlock light turns off immediately after
the first three lines (SunOS 5.10 etc...) of the Solaris boot appear.

Stuff that doesn't seem to make a difference:
Console redirection in BIOS:
I have disabled (and enabled, but it's currently disabled) console redirection
in the BIOS. I do have a SP, but took it out of the equation to try to troubleshoot
this. (I'm happy to use the SP if the SP and ipmitool are my friends--haven't had
any luck with it either.)
Solaris Failsafe Mode -- same results either way

Any ideas on how to move forward with this? I'm happy to use any viable
build of Solaris, and have no particular attachment to the system as it
stands, so can reinstall as needed.

I also tried installing S10U1 (01/06) and got the same results.

Oh, the system may or may not have had a viable Solaris install on
it when I got it. It got to the message about Grub second stage and
didn't get further, and I was pretty quick to just do a clean install
with known bits rather than trying to figure out what I then thought
was likely a console redirection issue.

Thoughts?
Eric