List:       opensolaris-help
Subject:    [osol-help] Update
From:       Mark Hastings <hastings () mark-hastings ! com>
Date:       2006-06-11 10:53:51

Guys, thanks for the reference to the DHCP stuff.  I ended up disabling DHCP since \
for file serving I preferred a fixed address.

I found two other pieces of documentation that helped me a lot:
1.  the June 2005 BigAdmin article about Configuring VIA Rhine-based NICs on Solaris \
10 by Federico Lazcano 2.  the excellent README from Masayuki Murayama for the \
various NIC drivers he makes available.

I never got stable networking with my Intel 865GLC motherboard, but with \
Murayama-sans drivers, I was able to get another AMD system up and running.  Too bad \
Sun can't get these drivers incorporated in by default, since it is a real hassle to \
do it all by hand.

So I gave up on the 865 system, and started experimenting with two MSI motherboards \
that use Pentium-M and Core processors.  For the 945GT system with a Core Solo, the \
twin Intel 82573L gig-e chips seem to work just fine with the 5.0.7 e1000 driver, and \
the ICH7R SATA controller also seems well supported.  But power consumption isn't \
much lower than with the regular P4.  I'm about to run some Samba tests to compare \
Solaris + ZFS to Linux and BSD.  For those following along at home, I've posted more \
details here:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32043

Thanks,
    Mark