List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       Albert Lee <trisk () opensolaris ! org>
Date:       2011-02-23 20:36:30

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Orvar Korvar
<knatte_fnatte_tjatte@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just want an integrated 3D in a cpu that can give me 1080p, Compiz, simple games \
> in Wine/VirtualBox, etc. It is not really important to me if I get updates to a 3D \
> driver, as long as it gives me the above. I hope Sandybridge would give me this? \
> What do you think, should the Solarsi 3D driver for Sandybridge be able to give me \
> all this? Never mind frequent updates...

Yes, most Intel integrated graphics chips from the past few years
(with the notable exception of the GMA 500) should be fine for Compiz,
HD video playback, and some games. Wine's Direct3D-on-GL
implementation tends to depend on features not present in the Intel
drivers, though.

-Albert