List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       Orvar Korvar <knatte_fnatte_tjatte () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2011-02-23 2:56:35

I thought 3D driver for Sandbybridge was on it's way? I dont need excellent 3D \
performance, just so I can see 1080p video, use Compiz, play old games in \
Wine/VirtualBox, such as Starcraft 1, Diablo 2, etc.

I hope in this case, I do not need Nvidia graphics card. Now, I have a ATI4850 and \
the 2D driver is not really good, I can not playback 1080p video - that is impossible \
because of huge lag.

I want to build a Solaris PC with low power requirements. Sandybridge/Ivybridge with \
one SSD and no discrete graphics card. I suspect this config will idle at ~50Watt and \
still provide plenty of cpu power, but low 3D performance. Which is perfect for a \
SunRay server. Maybe I should settle for Ivy Bridge, which should have the same 3D \
                graphics driver, I hope.