List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       Harry Putnam <reader () newsguy ! com>
Date:       2011-02-23 5:54:17

Gary <gdriggs@gmail.com> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> You can spend less with a dedicated predesigned commercial unit...
>> Can you name a few?
>
> I didn't catch how many drives you said you needed. And was it this
> thread that I already responded to --

I'll use 8 drives if I want to use what I already have on a
dysfunctional zfs server 2@500 (ide [pata] 2@500sataII 2@750sata)

I expected to buy a pair of 1TB drives.  I've been running in a
mirrored setup so need 2X whatever drives I use.

I could buy bigger disks but of course, that would mean letting 6drives
I already have just set around.

If I bought 4 2tb drives I'd have about the same capacity but it would
cost around $400 (or is it cheaper for 4 2tb drivs?)

One tempting thing about the Proliant Microserver N36L, It can be
gotten damned cheap.... if this is the one you mean:

     http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=2190307#TS