List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] SchilliX-0.7.2 is out and makes OpenSolaris self
From:       Joerg.Schilling () fokus ! fraunhofer ! de (Joerg Schilling)
Date:       2010-09-28 11:44:49

ken mays <maybird1776@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1. The Feb 2010 patched version of Sun Studio 12u1 worked for building
> most of the other OSOL consolidations. There is another 'patched' version called \
> Sun Studio 12.1.1 in the IPS_134 repo.

I forgot to mention that there are other reasons for not using this version for
building other consolidations:

ONNV is not self contained and the compilation depends on the presence of SFW
and GNOME. The compilation of ONNV also depends on autoconf results that are
sensitive to compiler versions and that are not manually revised.

If you would compile e.g. SFW using Sun Studio 12u1, then you canot compile
ONNV any more using an older compiler, unless you manually edit relevant
autoconf results.

I am not sure whether the responsible engineers are aware of this fact as I
remember that we had many discussions in the past (related to ksh93 and star)
where I have been told that Sun is not willing to accept dynamic configuration
for ONNV.

Now we have a situation that is even worse than using autoconf _inside_ ONNV as
ONNV depends on probably out of sync autoconf results.

The move from vold to hald introduced circular dependencies into ONNV and the
way SFW is compiled, requires the current compiled SFW version to be installed
previously on the system. This causes SFW compilation to depend on an unknown
number of iteration steps in order to finish successfully. This is e.g. a reason
why SchilliX does not yet deliver the full set of software from SFW.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)