List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Merge other distros to OpenIndiana?
From:       Ashish Nabira <nabira () sun ! com>
Date:       2010-09-16 13:16:59

I am talking about the number of pakages which are installable from
repositories. Debian,Ubuntu have more than 30,000 pakages. I know most
of them are not used by Server Admins. But new unix users do find it
difficult to install pakages by compiling.

For example in Ubuntu, you can try  the whole mail
server( Postfix,Qmail,Exim etc) ,IMAP/POP, webmail, spamassasin, using
Mysql backend very fast. In solaris I had to do it all by myself. This
is just one example. Likewise we have only Drupal in Solaris, other
CMS,DMS etc are missing.

Lets add those important packages to repositories and make OpenIndiana
popular to newbies....That's one good way to make it popular .

Ashish Nabira
Enterprise IT Architect
Email Ashish.Nabira@Sun.COM

On 16-Sep-10, at 3:15 PM, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> I just have a small suggestion. Whatever distribution
> we make, please
> make available packages like FreeBSD ports or Debian.
> That's the only
> way we can make it more popular with Admins and new
> users.
>
> Ashish Nabira
> Enterprise IT Architect
> Email Ashish.Nabira@Sun.COM

Are you talking about those specific mechanisms, or
just about having lots of packages?

To stay compatible with packages built for OpenSolaris or Solaris 11
(Express)
presumably means using IPS (or legacy SVR4 package support).