List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Phenom II X6 1090T, AMD 890FX / SB850,
From:       Dusan Kysel <dusan.kysel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-09-10 15:02:49

masafumi and Ken,

thank you for your fast, very helpful replies.

Though I have double checked the OpenSolaris HCL, I still could not find any relevant \
references, neither to the 890FX chipset nor to the 1090T CPU.

Ken, the most relevant/recent AMD hardware reference I found in your HCL sumbissions \
was an ASUS M2N-E nForce 570 Chipset based board with an Athlon 64 X2 CPU which is \
IMHO way too distinct for extrapolating 1090T/890FX compatibility on. Is that what \
you have been referring to in your reply?

Nevertheless, encouraged by the positive feedback from both of you, I have decided to \
test it out and contribute the findings to the HCL ASAP.

(I bought the motherboard and CPU already 2 weeks ago, but due to the difficulty of \
finding a reasonable distributor of 4GB unregistered ECC DDR3 modules in central \
Europe I was able to test drive the system for the first time just 2 days ago.)

IMPRESSIONS and OBSERVATIONS:

Stress testing the system with 2 Kingston 4GB unregistered ECC DDR3 modules \
(KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G) with MemTest86+ for many hours was flawless.

After 2 more days of extensive OpenSolaris usage I have to say, I am very pleased \
with the results. The system is rock stable and very fluid, the strengths of the \
Solaris kernel, the Phenom architecture and 8GB ECC RAM combine synergistically to \
form a powerful, unique and quite impressive experience (both as server and \
workstation).

With cca. 25% CPU load and a CoolIT Vantage liquid cooler operating in Quiet mode the \
CPU runs at respectable 35,5 degrees Celsius already and is expected to drop further \
2-5 degrees after the thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5) breaks in completely \
(expected after cca. 200 hours and several thermal cycles).

I have submitted a detailed report to the OpenSolaris HCL few hours ago. It should be \
available soon (after being reviewed I suppose).

REMAINING DRIVER ISSUES:

There are just 3 driver issues with this board I am trying to resolve now:

1) Missing driver: Marvell 8059 Gigabit LAN controller

$ pfexec scanpci | grep 0x4381
pci bus 0x0003 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x11ab device 0x4381

I have tried the latest Marvel Yukon 2 Gigabit drivers from IPS and Marvell, both \
don't seem to support 8059:

$ pfexec update_drv -a -i '"pci11ab,4381"' yge
devfsadm: driver failed to attach: yge
Warning: Driver (yge) successfully added to system but failed to attach

$ pfexec update_drv -a -i '"pci11ab,4381"' yukonx
devfsadm: driver failed to attach: yukonx
Warning: Driver (yukonx) successfully added to system but failed to attach

2) Missing driver: NEC USB 3.0 controller

$ pfexec scanpci | grep 0x0194
pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x1033 device 0x0194

3) audiohd driver problems: SupremeFX X-FI

3.1) The mixer does not provide a control to turn on spread (i.e. mirror the signal \
for the 2 front speakers to the rear speakers).

3.2) When attaching a 4.1 speaker system to the standard lime green and black \
connectors, the lime connector works as expected, but the black connector does not \
output any signal to the rear speakers at all. Tested with mplayer multichannel audio \
and audiotest.

This does not seem to be a hardware problem. I had a similar issue with the audiols \
driver on MSI K8N Diamond MB (SB0438) before, the only way to make the rear speakers \
play was to turn on spread. I was hoping the overall experience with the audiohd \
driver would be an improvement, but right now, due to missing spread it turns on to \
be quite the opposite.

Can someone with more experience and deeper insight provide suggestions on how to \
approach these issues?

Thanks.

-dusan