List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] OpenSolaris cancelled,
From:       Kyle McDonald <kmcdonald () egenera ! com>
Date:       2010-09-09 16:36:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    &nbsp;<br>
    On 9/9/2010 11:42 AM, Octave Orgeron wrote:<br>
      Sun Fire 6800-25k servers that allowed<br>
      &gt; you to do this. The name escapes me, but I know Sun had a
      course<br>
      &gt; for it and sold it to several universities and of course
      the US<br>
      &gt; government. Basically it consisted of some HBA's and a
      custom<br>
      &gt; switch.</span><br>
    The project name was 'WildCat' - The F6800/6900 (I guess the model<br>
    numbers were still wrong in my second post - where is my memory<br>
    going?) were&nbsp; project 'serengeti' and the CPU's were members of
    the<br>
    cat family like 'jaguar'.<br>
    The product was able to do RSM (remote shared memory)&nbsp; between<br>
    multiple kernels, and SSM (scalable shared memory) between boxes
    for 1<br>
    kernel. As far as I know, while the HW shipped was capable of
    both,<br>
    the only SW/drivers that ever shipped were for RSM mode only.<br>
      days, this was also doable through<br>
      &gt; extending the UPA bus.</span><br>
    This sounds like the earlier project 'WildFire' (for the Sunfire<br>
    project machines). As I recall it relaced the IO 'blade', and was
    a<br>
    custom bus.&nbsp; It may have beta'd to a few places but It never
    shipped.<br>
    - -Kyle<br>
    <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="mailto:opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org">opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org</a><br>