List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    [osol-discuss] Re: KDE, GNOME, etc.
From:       maybird1776 () yahoo ! com (ken mays)
Date:       2005-12-28 5:22:16

The 'desktop' work at Blastwave is a bit broader in
scope. Blastwave has provided not only KDE, but
several of the other major UNIX desktop environments
like Xfce *AND** GNOME - as well as many of the
freedesktop.org software ported to Solaris.

I mentioned before that Stefan and I do similar work
with KDE/Solaris porting, yet my scope was for legacy
support within the SPARCv8 (i.e. sun4m and above) and
SPARCv9 platform realms - when it came to KDE for
Solaris as well as Trolltech's Qt C++ development
framework. Efforts are branched between people porting
KDE with either GCC and Sun Studio compilers to
Solaris and what hardware platforms they choose to
support. At the end of the day, the end users get KDE
on Solaris either way.

The UNIX desktop environments, Scribus, and OpenGL
development/gaming on Solaris x86 were a few of my
biggest concerns back in 2002-2003. We've surpassed
all of those milestones. Now, we are faced with just
getting the latest JDS-GNOME 2.12.2 into the hands of
people (which is Glynn's (GMan) area) and journalists.
Then, it is just making consumers/end users 'aware' on
how you can run KDE apps under JDS/GNOME and vice
versa.

I'd hope Y2006 starts with many end users having
JDS/GNOME 2.12.2 and KDE 3.5 available on Solaris as a
desktop option. Whether either one is better than the
other is just another threaded subject of
discussion... ;oP

~ Ken Mays

http://www.blastwave.org/articles/BLS-0039/index.html