List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    [osol-discuss] usb driver questions
From:       gary () genashor ! com (Gary Gendel)
Date:       2005-12-20 9:45:05

frits vanderlinden wrote:
> Gary Gendel wrote:
>

>> I installed the ugen driver, (I got a message like: installed driver
>> but couldn't attach).
>>
> you mean you did an add_drv

Exactly.

>> Ok, after reboot. and saw that things were ok in the prtconf output.
>> I tried the usbups code found in the above document to test it.  It
>> succeeded all the way down to the code that requested the interface
>> description, where it failed with a "Stalled" error (which I had to
>> add code to figure out).  BTW, this code is poorly written...  It
>> passes integers into %s formating strings and doesn't abort on a fatal
>> error (it happily continues and crashes later because things aren't
>> initialized).
>>

> well, it is just a sample application.

True, but a once over wouldn't have hurt.  Corrections for mis-comments
and wrong argument types would have been nice.  Error handling is a
secondary consideration for sample code.

>> I have a feeling that I don't need the ugen driver anyway (and I
>> removed it), but now I'm at a loss at how to proceed with the standard
>> driver.  Any pointers?
>>

> the hid driver does not support UPSs. Your best bet is ugen but you need
> to find out from the vendor how to control this beast

I have to assume that the sample code does the generic basics.  Are you
saying that I can expect problems with this code like I did when I tried
to get the interface description?  I would have thought these to be all
part of the generic functions.

I'm going to work on upgrading to snv_28.  I've been told that there
were a few usb patches since snv_18.  With luck, all my issues will have
disappeared.

Thanks for replying, Frits.  If I keep banging on this long enough, I'll
probably start understanding it.

Gary