List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [desktop-discuss] WebGL on Solaris 11 Express and Firefox
From:       Shawn Walker <shawn.walker () oracle ! com>
Date:       2011-01-18 20:36:34

On 01/18/11 11:32 AM, John Martin wrote:
> FWIW, Firefox 4.0 beta 9 was released Friday. Downloads
> available at:
>

> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/4.0b9/contrib/
>
> I kicked the tires on x64 with WebGL and hardware acceleration
> enabled for layers and it appears to be stable
> (NVIDIA graphics, driver 260.19.29).
>
> Unfortunatley, it looks like the "UNIX" versions will
> still have acceleration disabled by default:
>

> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/216874/firefox_4_beta_9_gives_short_shrift_to_linux_users.html

The Mozilla developers have said that nVidia drivers are whitelisted
(according to osnews.com):

"Benoit Jacob informed my via email that there's some important nuance:
hardware acceleration (OpenGL only) on Linux has been implemented, but
due to bugs and issues, only one driver so far has been whitelisted (the
proprietary NVIDIA driver)."

-Shawn