List:       opensolaris-desktop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [desktop-discuss] Future of Solaris on the desktop?
From:       Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith () oracle ! com>
Date:       2010-12-29 15:23:45

On 12/28/10 05:37 AM, Tom Servo wrote:
> However Oracle's currently always talking about the enterprise. Are there any clues \
> as towards what'll happen with the desktop? Is Gnome going to be continued to be \
> updated? Are the ports of common desktop applications, e.g. which are available \
> now, going to continue? What about Xorg?

Of course, no one here can make long term commitments, but we're continuing to
update components.   I posted Xorg 1.9.2 test packages last month and we're
working on finishing that integration now.   GNOME 3.0 is going to be
problematic though, given the gnome-shell dependence on high-end 3-D features
that just won't work on a significant set of devices (pretty much everything
but Nvidia & Intel - no SPARC graphics, Sun Ray, ATI, Matrox, etc.), so I don't
know what will happen there.

> I know about Illumos and OpenIndiana, but lets assume one wants to stay on the \
> upstream bleeding edge (depending on the update cycle).

Since Oracle isn't providing any sort of /dev or experimental/unstable repo,
you won't be right on the bleeding edge with Oracle's distro - the update
cycle would be closer to the OpenSolaris stable releases: 6-12 months apart.

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith@oracle.com